Talking Giants Baseball: A San Francisco Giants/Baseball Blog: San Francisco Giants trivia of the day: Cobb v. Herzog

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

San Francisco Giants trivia of the day: Cobb v. Herzog


On March 30, 1917, the New York Giants and the Detroit Tigers were playing an exhibition friendly in Dallas.

During the game, the Tigers' Ty Cobb slid into second base and took out the Giants' Buck Herzog with his spikes. Cobb and Herzog then exchanged punches and were promptly separated.

If fighting on the field was not enough, the two went at it in Cobb's hotel room after the game. The result?

Cobb refused to play any more exhibition games, between then and April 5, against the Giants. After this time, the Giants sent Cobb a telegram that read, "It's safe to rejoin your club, we've left."

Such was the state of baseball before electronic media.





Source: http://menudo-myblog.blogspot.com/2011/03/this-day-in-sports-history-3301917.html

Follow me on twitter @vintalkingiants

Questions or comments? E-mail my blog mailbag at vc4re@yahoo.com. Your questions may be answered on my blog.

Be sure to take my poll on the left!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Google Search

The Mailbag is open. Contact me with your questions.

Questions? Comments? Feedback? E-mail my blog mailbag at vc4re@yahoo.com. Your question may be posted on my blog, along with answers.